Decking is an excellent addition to any home. It's sure to add a subtle yet powerful look to any property.
From providing you with a spot to enjoy the summer sun or as a place to indulge in a casual evening with friends, a decking in your backyard can help improve your living space.
Even small courtyard gardens can benefit from well-designed deckings. Outdoor decking can range in size from small timber squares to large decks fitted with pools.
If you've decided to install decking, then you might be stuck about where to start. Today we're going to talk to you about some need-to-know decking tips so you can feel confident when installing your decking.
1. The best decking is composite decking
When choosing your decking, you don't have to go for timber decking. Instead, you can select a composite decking made with vinyl or, on occasion, a blend of recycled plastic, reclaimed wood, and sawdust.
Composite decking looks like timber but doesn't need as much maintenance. It can also come with anti-slip properties making it ideal if you've got an outdoor pool.
Because composite decking is made with recycled materials, it's also considered eco-friendly.
One of our favorite composite decking manufacturers is Trex.
Trex composite decking
With Trex decking, you get the eye-catching look of rich wood with the durability of a composite. No matter where you live, Trex composite decking is backed by a 25-Year Limited Residential Warranty.
Thanks to Trex decking, you can transform your bare backyard into a stylish living space for your friends and family to enjoy.
Wood decks and railings take a brutal beating from rain and wet conditions. They tend to rot and require so much upkeep that it becomes too much effort with little reward.
This is why so many people choose Trex so they can enjoy their decking nearly maintenance-free for years.
Check out Trex decking for yourself and get in contact with Fitch Construction Inc to talk about installing your decking and improving your outdoor living.
2. You need to create airflow under your decking
Having airflow under your composite decking is essential for it’s longevity. When you have airflow under your deck, it prevents water absorption, your decking swelling and it will improve drainage.
You really don’t want standing water on or under your composite decking. The better you plan out your decking area, the longer your deck will last.
3. Add decking accessories for functionality & style
Adding accessories can take your deck to the next level in both functionality and protection.
For example, you can add a deck railing to make your decking sleeker but also safer.
Don't just build your deck and leave it how it is! Make the most of your space by adding furniture, lamps, fire pits, and stoves.
4. Make sure everything matches
No matter what finish you go for, make sure you invest in color-matching fascia, L corner trims, or end caps.
Nothing says ‘DIY’ like poor-quality or mis-matched materials. Using colour matching building materials ensure a clean, professional finish to your new decking project.
5. Keep your deck maintained
You should always try to keep your deck as well-maintained as possible so you don't have to deal with any issues down the line or have to make expensive repairs.
Here are some deck maintenance tips you can follow:
- You should clean your decks and stairs yearly to get rid of any dirt, mold, and moss.
- Check your timber regularly for any signs of rot or mildew. You can check by pushing a screwdriver into the deck. If it goes over 5mm through the wood, then your deck might be rotting, and you'll need to replace it.
- Check all your timber and the handrails thoroughly for any splintering. You can sand back the decking to smoothen the surfaces.
- Regularly use a sealant with UV sunlight protection to maintain the color of the deck.
- Check under potted plants every six months to make sure it's not rotting. You should also get rid of any fungus or mold immediately with hot soapy water and a good scrub brush.
At Fitch Construction, we will work with you to identify the best ways to fund your decking project.
Take a look at our financing section for more information.
We would love an opportunity to sit down and show you how we can turn your dream decking into a reality. Call us in Rochester at (585) 377-3330 or in Buffalo at (716) 919-3330.